WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

12/28/10

 

 

 

Idaho

COUNTY FACTS

Page 3

Click on the county name below to see the county facts:

LEWIS

LINCOLN

MADISON

MINIDOKA

NEZ PERCE

ONEIDA

OWYHEE

PAYETTE

POWER

SHOSHONE

TETON

TWIN FALLS

VALLEY

WASHINGTON

Lewis County

Background

Established March 3, 1911 with its county seat at Nez Perce. Named for Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The Nez Perce Indians made this area their home and knew no whites until the Lewis and Clark expedition, the expedition spent a month in the Clearwater River Valley near the town of Kamiah on the return from the Pacific coast in May 1806.

County Seat: Nez Perce

Land Area: 480 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Nez Perce, ID 83543-0039 Phone: (208) 937-2661 Fax: (208) 937-9234

Location

map

 

Lincoln County

Background

Established March 18, 1895 with its county seat at Shoshone. Lincoln was much larger originally, in 1913 Gooding and Minidoka took about half the original Lincoln County, after the creation of Jerome in 1919, Lincoln was left with only 1,206 square miles. Named for President Abraham Lincoln, the sixteenth President of the United States, under whose administration the Idaho Territory was established.

County Seat: Shoshone

Land Area: 1,206 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Shoshone, ID 83352-0800 Phone: (208) 886-7641 Fax: (208) 886-2707

Location

map

 

Madison County

Background

Established February 18,1913 with its county seat at Rexburg. Named for President James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. First settlers in the county were Mormon families from Utah, who built the first irrigation system.

County Seat: Rexburg

Land Area: 473 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Rexburg, ID 83440-0389 Phone: (208) 356-3662 Fax: (208) 356-8396

Location

map

 

Minidoka County

Background

Established January 28, 1913 with its county seat at Rupert. Named directly for the first settlement, Minidoka, a railroad siding. The name is Indian, but the exact meaning is in dispute. Some believe that Minidoka means "well, spring" but there was not a source of water such as a well or spring until 1946. Others say the word is Shoshoni and means "broad expanse," because the broadest portion of the Snake River Plain lies here.

County Seat: Rupert

Land Area: 762 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Rupert, ID 83350-0474 Phone: (208) 436-9511 Fax: (208) 436-0737

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Nez Perce County

Background

Established February 4, 1864 by the Idaho Territorial Legislature with its county seat at Lewiston. Named for the Nez Perce Indians who occupied the area before the white man. Previously established by the Territorial Legislature of Washington in 1861. This was one of the four original Idaho counties in 1863 from which all 44 have been carved. The present boundaries of Nez Perce County were set in 1911. Lewis and Clark were the first white men in the area in 1805. Lewiston served as the territorial capital for twenty-two months before the capital was moved to Boise.

County Seat: Lewiston

County Web Site

Land Area: 855 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Lewiston, ID 83501-0896 Phone: (208) 799-3020 Fax: (208) 799-3070

Lewiston-Nez Perce County Office of Emergency Management

Location

map

 

Oneida County

Background

Established January 22, 1864 with its county seat at Soda Springs. In 1866 it was moved to Malad City, because of its growth and its location on the stagecoach line and freight road between Corinne, Utah, and the mines in Butte, Montana. Named for Lake Oneida, New York, the area from which most of the early settlers had emigrated.

County Seat: Malad

Land Area: 1,202 square miles.

County Clerk 10 Court Street Malad, ID 83252-0191 Phone: (208) 766-4116 ext. 10 Fax: (208) 766-2448

Location

map

 

Owyhee County

Background

Established December 31, 1863 with its county seat at Ruby City. This was the first county to be established by the first territorial legislature. In 1867 the county seat was moved to Silver City and in 1934 to Murphy. Named for the river, mountains and mining area explored by Hawaiian fur trappers in 1819-1820. Hawaii and Owyhee are different spellings of the same word. Gold was discovered on Jordan Creek in 1863, and millions of dollars of gold and silver were taken from Silver City region until the industry declined in the early 1900s.

County Seat: Murphy

Land Area: 7,666 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Murphy, ID 83650-0128 Phone: (208) 495-2421 Fax: (208) 495-1173

Location

map

 

Payette County

Background

Established February 28, 1917, with its county seat at Payette. Payette was originally settled as a railroad camp in the 1860s and called Boomerang for the log boom on the Payette River. The site, and the community which grew around it, was later named in honor of the area's first white settler, Francois Payette, a Canadian fur trapper and explorer with the North West Company who arrived in 1818.

County Seat: Payette

Land Area: 403 square miles.

County Clerk 1130 3rd Ave. N., Rm. 104, Payette, ID 83661-2473; Phone: (208) 642-6000 Fax: (208) 642-6011

Location

map

 

Power County

Background

Established on January 30, 1913 with its county seat at American Falls. Named for the American Falls Power Plant. American Falls was the first settlement in the county and was a frequent camping place on the Oregon Trail. It became a railroad station when the Oregon Short Line was built across southern Idaho.

County Seat: American Falls

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,442 square miles.

County Clerk 543 Bannock American Falls, ID 83211-1200 Phone: (208) 226-7611 Fax: (208) 226-7612

Location

map

 

Shoshone County

Background

Established February 4, 1864 with its county seat at Pierce. In 1885 the county seat was moved to Murray , in 1890 to Osborn, and finally to Wallace in 1893. The first organized unit of government within Idaho boundaries, created and named for the Shoshoni Indians in 1858 by the Washington Territorial Legislature as part of Washington, effective in 1861.

County Seat: Wallace

Land Area: 2,640 square miles.

County Clerk 700 Bank Street Wallace, ID 83873 Phone: (208) 752-1264 Fax: (208) 753-2711

Location

map

 

Teton County

Background

Established January 26, 1915, with its county seat at Driggs. It was named for the adjacent Teton mountains and valley. The valley was formerly known as Pierre's Hole where Indians held their councils and trappers met for their rendezvous.

County Seat: Driggs

Land Area: 450 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Driggs, ID 83422-0070 Phone: (208) 354-2905 Fax: (208) 354-8410

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Twin Falls County

Background

Established February 21, 1907 with its county seat at Twin Falls. Named for the nearby waterfalls on the Snake River. A station line was established at Rock Creek in 1864 for the Ben Holladay Stage Line. The Twin Falls South Side project brought water to thousands of acres of arid land in 1904 and became one of the most successful in the Carey Act irrigation projects.

County Seat: Twin Falls

Land Area: 1,957 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Twin Falls, ID 83303-0126 Phone: (208) 736-4004 Fax: (208) 736-4182

Location

map

 

Valley County

Background

Established February 26, 1917 with its county seat at Cascade. Named for the outstanding topographical feature of the area, Long Valley. Fur trappers were the first white men in the area but permanent settlement did not take place until the 1880s when livestock ranchers moved into Long Valley.

County Seat: Cascade

Land Area: 3,733 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Cascade, ID 83611-0737 Phone: (208) 382-4297 Fax: (208) 382-4955

Location

map

 

Washington County

Background

Established February 20, 1879, with Weiser as its county seat. Named for George Washington, the first president of the United States. Donald MacKenzie was one of the first white men in the area in 1811. Settlers came in the 1860s after gold was discovered in the area.

County Seat: Weiser

Land Area: 1,474 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Weiser, ID 83672-0670 Phone: (208) 414-2092 Fax: (208) 414-3925

Washington County Economic Development Commission

Location

map

Links around the website:

Home

Terms of sales

 
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado
Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii
Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky
Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota
Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire
New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota
Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Alberta British Columbia Manitoba
Newfoundland New Brunswick Nova Scotia Ontario Prince Edward Island Québec
Saskatchewan NW Territories Nunavut Yukon    

Questions? Place an order?  email to: "BPRPL8S@PEOPLEPC.COM"

 

 
   
   

Copyright WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

This page was last updated 12/28/10