WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

12/28/10

 

 

 

Idaho

COUNTY FACTS

Page 2

Click on the county name below to see the county facts:

CASSIA

CLARK

CLEARWATER

CUSTER

ELMORE

FRANKLIN

FREMONT

GEM

GOODING

IDAHO

JEFFERSON

JEROME

KOOTENAI

LATAH

LEMHI

Cassia County

Background

Established February 20, 1879 with its county seat at Albion. The county boundaries were later reduced in 1913 by the creation of Twin Falls and Power counties. The county seat was changed to Burley on November 5, 1918. Named for Cassia Creek, which was named for one of two words: cajeaux, peasent French for raft; or James John Cazier, member of the LDS Church and of the Mormon Battalion, later a colorful captain of an emigrant train, whose name was corrupted to cassia. Locally it is also believed that the name is derived from the name of a plant.

County Seat: Burley

County Web Site

Land Area: 2,577 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Burley, ID 83318-1838 Phone: (208) 878-4367 Fax: (208) 677-1003

Location

map

 

Clark County

Background

Established February 1, 1919 with its county seat at Dubois. Named for Sam K. Clark, early settler on Medicine Lodge Creek who became the first state senator from Clark County. The city of Dubois was named for U.S. Senator Fred Dubois, a prominent Idaho political figure in early history.

County Seat: Dubois

Land Area: 1,764 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Dubois, ID 83423-0007 Phone: (208) 374-5304 Fax: (208) 374-5609

Location

map

 

Clearwater County

Background

Established in February 27, 1911 with its county seat at Orofino. Named for the Clearwater River whose name was translated from the Nez Perce term Koos-Koos-Kai-Kai, describing clear water. In September, 1805, Lewis and Clark followed an old Indian trail between the north and middle forks of the Clearwater River and met the Nez Perce near the present site of Weippe. Gold was first discovered by E. D. Perce in 1860 and Pierce City, the oldest mining town in Idaho came into existence.

County Seat: Orofino

Land Area: 2,488 square miles.

County Clerk Box 586 Orofino, ID 83544-0586 Phone: (208) 476-5615 Fax: (208) 476-9315

Location

map

 

Custer County

Background

Established January 8, 1881 with its county seat at Challis. Named for the General Custer mine, which was named in honor of General George Custer who died at the Battle of Little Bighorn. Its history begins with fur traders and pathfinders as early as 1824; later in the 1860s and 1870s prospectors and miners came. It contains portions of the Sawtooth, Salmon River, White Cloud, Pioneer, Lost River, and White Knob Mountains and contains the highest peaks in the state.

County Seat: Challis

Land Area: 4,938 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Challis, ID 83226-0385 Phone: (208) 879-2360 Fax: (208) 879-5246

Location

map

 

Elmore County

Background

Established February 7, 1889 with its county seat at Rocky Bar. Named for the Ida Elmore mines, the area's greatest silver and gold producer of the 1860s. The Oregon Trail crossed the Snake River at Three Island Crossing near Glenns Ferry. A station on the overland stage route, originally named Rattlesnake, was moved to the railroad line and became Mountain Home. On February 4, 1891 the county seat was moved to Mountain Home.

County Seat: Mountain Home

Land Area: 3,103 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Mountain Home, ID 83647-3028 Phone: (208) 587-2130 Fax: (208) 587-2159

Location

map

 

Franklin County

Background

Established January 20, 1913 with its county seat at Preston. Named for the first settlement in Idaho, Franklin, which in turn was named for Franklin Richards, an apostle of the Mormon Church. The settlement began in Franklin county in 1860 with thirteen families. .

County Seat: Preston

Land Area: 667 square miles.

County Web Site

County Clerk County Courthouse Preston, ID 83263-1234 Phone: (208) 852-1090 Fax: (208) 852-1094

Location

map

 

Fremont County

Background

Established March 4, 1893 with its county seat at St. Anthony. Named for John C. Fremont, an explorer known as the "Pathfinder" who passed through the area in 1843. The first settlement in the county was Egin Bench in 1879.

County Seat: St. Anthony

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,894 square miles.

County Clerk 151 W. 1st St. N.; Rm. 12 St. Anthony, ID 83445-0448 Phone: (208) 624-7332 Fax: (208) 624-4472

Location

map

 

Gem County

Background

Established March 15, 1915 with its county seat at Emmett. Named for the state nickname, "Gem State." Fur trappers were in the area as early as 1818 and Alexander Ross explored Squaw Creek in 1824. Prospectors and miners moved through the county in 1862 in route to the gold rush in the Boise Basin, and by the next year irrigation began along the Payette River.

County Seat: Emmett

Land Area: 564 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Emmett, ID 83617-3096 Phone: (208) 365-4561 Fax: (208) 365-6172

Emmett Chamber of Commerce

Location

map

 

Gooding County

Background

Established January 28, 1913 with its county seat at Gooding. Named for Frank R. Gooding, pioneer sheep rancher, early mayor of the city of Gooding, later Idaho Governor and U. S. Senator. Mountain men and fur traders trapped the Malad River extensively in the early 1800s. Settlers came to the rich agricultural lands of the Hagerman Valley in the 1860s.

County Seat: Gooding

Land Area: 733 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Gooding, ID 83330-0417 Phone: (208) 934-4221 Fax: (208) 934-4408

Location

map

 

Idaho County

Background

Established February 4, 1864 by the First Idaho Territorial Legislature with its county seat at Florence. In 1861 it had been established as the third county of the Washington Territory. Named for the Steamer Idaho that was launched June 9, 1860 on the Columbia River and served miners during the gold rush in north Idaho. In 1875 Mount Idaho was named the county seat, in 1902 the county seat was moved to Grangeville following a 10-year struggle between Grangeville and Mount Idaho.

County Seat: Grangeville

County Web Site

Land Area: 8,503 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Grangeville, ID 83530-1992 Phone: (208) 983-2751 Fax: (208) 983-1428

Location

map

 

Jefferson County

Background

Established February 18, 1913 with its county seat at Rigby. Named for Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States. The first settlers were Mormons who constructed irrigation systems.

County Seat: Rigby

Land Area: 1,106 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Rigby, ID 83442-0538 Phone: (208) 745-7756 Fax: (208) 745-6636

Location

map

 

Jerome County

Background

Established February 8, 1919 with its county seat at Jerome. Three sources for the name are commonly given: Jerome Hill, one of the developers of the North Side Irrigation Project; his grandson, Jerome Kuhn, Jr.; or his son-in-law, Jerome Kuhn. All were important to the growth of the county.

County Seat: Jerome

Land Area: 605 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Jerome, ID 83338-0407 Phone: (208) 324-8811 Fax: (208) 324-2719

Location

map

 

Kootenai County

Background

Established December 22, 1864 by the Second Territorial Legislature with Seneaquoteen, a trading post below Lake Pend Oreille, as the county seat. Rathdrum replaced Seneaquoteen as county seat in 1881 and Coeur d'Alene replaced Rathdrum in 1908. Named for the Kutenai Indians who inhabited the area when the white man arrived. The word "Kootenai" is derived from the Kutenai word meaning "water people.".

County Seat: Coeur d'Alene

Land Area: 1,310 square miles

County Clerk PO Box 9000, 501 Government Way Coeur d'Alene, ID 83816-9000 Phone: (208) 769-4441 Fax: (208) 667-8534

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Latah County

Background

Established May 14, 1888 with its county seat at Moscow. This area was first formed as Lah-Toh County in 1864 with Coeur d'Alene as the county seat, in 1867 the name Lah-Toh was dropped when the area was placed in Nez Perce County. In 1888 the U. S. Congress created the county as we know it, the 16th Idaho county and the only Idaho county created by Congress. Named for Latah Creek, which drains the northwest corner. The name is Nez Perce and means "the place of pine trees and sestle," because the Indians found stones here suitable for pulverizing camas roots and shade under the pine trees in which to work.

County Seat: Moscow

Land Area: 1,077 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Moscow, ID 83843-0568 Phone: (208) 882-8580 ext. 3379 Fax: (208) 883-7203

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Lemhi County

Background

Established January 9, 1869 with its county seat at Salmon. Named for Fort Lemhi, the L.D.S. Salmon River Mission, which was named for King Lemhi in the book of Mormon. Lewis and Clark were the first white men in this area.

County Seat: Salmon

Land Area: 4,571square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Salmon, ID 83467-3943 Phone: (208) 756-2815 Fax: (208) 756-8424

Location

map

 

Links around the website:

Home

Terms of sales

 
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado
Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii
Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky
Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota
Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire
New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota
Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Alberta British Columbia Manitoba
Newfoundland New Brunswick Nova Scotia Ontario Prince Edward Island Québec
Saskatchewan NW Territories Nunavut Yukon    

Questions? Place an order?  email to: "BPRPL8S@PEOPLEPC.COM"

 

 
   
   

Copyright WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

This page was last updated 12/28/10