WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

12/28/10

 

 

 

Idaho

COUNTY FACTS

Page 1

Click on the county name below to see the county facts:

ADA
ADAMS
BANNOCK
BEAR LAKE
BENEWAH
BINGHAM
BLAINE
BOISE
BONNER
BONNEVILLE
BOUNDARY
BUTTE
CAMAS
CANYON
CARIBOU

Ada County

Background

Established December 22, 1864 with its county seat at Boise. Named for Ada Riggs, the first white child born in the area and the daughter of H. C. Riggs, one of the founders of Boise and a member of the Idaho Territorial Legislature. Boise became the capital of Idaho in 1865.

County Seat: Boise

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,060 square miles.

County Clerk 200 West Front Street Boise, ID 83702 Phone: (208) 287-6840 Fax: (208) 287-6849

Location

map

 

Adams County

Background

Established March 3, 1911 with its county seat at Council. Named for John Adams, the second President of the United States. The Council valley was a meeting place for the Nez Perce and Shoshoni Indian Tribes.

County Seat: Council

Land area: 1,370 square miles

County Clerk County Courthouse Council, ID 83612-0048 Phone: (208) 253-4561 Fax: (208) 253-4880

Location

map

 

Bannock County

Background

Established March 6, 1893 from part of Bingham County, with its county seat at Pocatello. Named for the Bannock Indians, the first inhabitants of the area, whose name was spelled Bannock by early settlers.

County Seat: Pocatello

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,148 square miles

County Clerk 624 E. Center; Room 211 Pocatello, ID 83201-6274 Phone: (208) 236-7334 Fax: (208) 236-7345

Location

map

 

Bear Lake County

Background

Established January 5, 1875 with its county seat at Paris. Named for Bear Lake, which lies half in Idaho and Half in Utah. In 1863 the first permanent settlement was at Paris, established by forty Mormon families who came in wagons, in ox carts and on foot over very difficult terrain from Cache Valley, Utah.

County Seat: Paris

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,050 square miles.

County Clerk PO Box 190 Paris, ID 83261-0190 Phone: (208) 945-2212 Fax: (208) 945-2780

Greater Bear Lake Valley Chamber of Commerce

Location

map

 

 

Benewah County

Background

Established January 23, 1915, with its county seat at St. Maries, by an act of the state legislature from the southern part of Kootenai County. Named for a Coeur d'Alene Indian chief. Some settlement began after the completion of the Mullan Road in 1860, but most settlers came to the area after the discovery of gold near St. Maries in 1880.

County Seat: St. Maries

Land Area: 787 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse St Maries, ID 83861-1886 Phone: (208) 245-3212 Fax: (208) 245-3046

Location

map

 

Bingham County

Background

Established January 13, 1885, with its county seat at Blackfoot, from the east and north parts of Oneida County. Named by Territorial Governor William M. Bunn for his friend Henry Harrison Bingham, Pennsylvania Congressman. Fremont County was carved out of Bingham in 1893, Bonneville in 1911, Power in 1913, and Butte in 1917.

County Seat: Blackfoot

County Web Site

Land Area: 2,183 square miles.

County Clerk 501 N. Maple #205 Blackfoot, ID 83221-1028 Phone: (208) 785-8040 Fax: (208) 785-4131

Location

map

 

Blaine County

Background

Established March 5, 1895 with Hailey as the county seat. Named for James G. Blaine, U. S. Secretary of State (1889-1892) under President Benjamin Harrison. The area was first explored in 1818 by Donald Mackenzie.

County Seat: Hailey

Land Area: 2,655 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Hailey, ID 83333-0400 Phone: (208) 788-5505 Fax: (208) 788-5501

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Boise County

Background

Established February 4, 1864 with its county seat at Idaho City. Named for the Boise River, which was named by French-Canadian explorers and trappers for the great variety of trees growing along its banks. The Boise Basin, in which Idaho City lies, was one of the richest gold mining districts in the nation after the discovery of gold in 1862. At its peak in the 1860s and 1870s, Idaho City was, for a time, the largest city in the northwest, it was this great influx of people that lead to the establishment of the Idaho Territory.

County Seat: Idaho City

Land Area: 1,908 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Idaho City, ID 83631-0157 Phone: (208) 392-4431 Fax: (208) 392-4473

Location

map

 

Bonner County

Background

Established February 21, 1907 with its county seat at Sandpoint. It was named for Edwin L. Bonner, who, in 1864, established a ferry on the Kootenai River where the town of Bonners Ferry is located. The ferry became an important site in emigrant travel between Walla Walla to the placer and quartz mines in British Columbia.

County Seat: Sandpoint

County Clerk County Courthouse Sandpoint, ID 83864-1305 Phone: (208) 265-1432 Fax: (208) 265-1447

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Bonneville County

Background

Established February 7, 1911 by the state legislature from the north and east parts of Bingham County. Named for Captain B. L. E. Bonneville, of the U. S. Army, who explored throughout the Snake River area in the 1830s. A settlement developed at the site of 1864, this settlement was known as Idaho Falls after 1891.

County Seat: Idaho Falls

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,897 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Idaho Falls, ID 83402-3582 Phone: (208) 529-1350 ext. 1355 Fax: (208) 529-1353

Location

map

 

Boundary County

Background

Established January 23, 1915 with its county seat at Bonners Ferry. It was so named because it borders Canada in the north, Washington on the west, and Montana on the east as well as Bonner County on the south.

County Seat: Bonners Ferry

County Web Site

Land Area: 1,277 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Bonners Ferry, ID 83805-0419 Phone: (208) 267-2242 Fax: (208) 267-7814

Location

map

 

 

 

Butte County

Background

Established February 6, 1917 with its county seat at Arco. It was named for the buttes that rise from the Snake River plain and served as landmarks to trappers and pioneers who traveled through the area. The first white men in the region were thought to be Donald Mackenzie and his Northwest Fur Company trappers in 1818.

County Seat: Arco

Land Area: 2,237 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Arco, ID 83213-0737 Phone: (208) 527-3021 Fax: (208) 527-3295

Location

map

 

Camas County

Background

Established February 6, 1917 with its county seat at Fairfield. Named for the lily-like plant found in the area with an edible bulb used as food by settlers.

County Seat: Fairfield

Land Area: 1,077 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Fairfield, ID 83327-0430 Phone: (208) 764-2242 Fax: (208) 764-2349

Location

map

 

Canyon County

Background

Established March 7, 1891 with its county seat at Caldwell. Current sources attribute the name to the canyon of the Boise River near Caldwell. However, both John Rees and Vardis Fisher believed it was named for the Snake River canyon which forms a natural boundary for the county. The Hudson's Bay Company established Fort Boise in 1834 near what is now Parma, but abandoned it in 1855. Immigrants traveled through Canyon County on the Oregon Trail.

County Seat: Caldwell

Land Area: 603 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Caldwell, ID 83605-3542 Phone: (208) 454-7557 Fax: (208) 454-6689

County Assessor 1115 Albany Street Caldwell, ID 83605 Phone: (208) 454-7431

County Information Site

Location

map

 

Caribou County

Background

Established February 11, 1919 with its county seat at Soda Springs, the last county in Idaho to be created. Named for the Caribou Mountains, which in turn are named for Cariboo Fairchild, who had taken part in the gold rush in the Cariboo region of British Columbia in 1860. He discovered gold in this region two years later. This area was on the routes of the earliest explorers, fur trappers and Oregon Trail emigrants. Thousands of emigrants passed through the present site of Soda Springs, so named for the many effervescent natural springs in the area.

County Seat: Soda Springs

Land Area: 1,799 square miles.

County Clerk County Courthouse Soda Springs, ID 83276-0775 Phone: (208) 547-4324 Fax: (208) 547-4759

Location

map

 

 

Links around the website:

Home

Terms of sales

 
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado
Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii
Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky
Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota
Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire
New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota
Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Alberta British Columbia Manitoba
Newfoundland New Brunswick Nova Scotia Ontario Prince Edward Island Québec
Saskatchewan NW Territories Nunavut Yukon    

Questions? Place an order?  email to: "BPRPL8S@PEOPLEPC.COM"

 

 
   
   

Copyright WWW.BPRLICENSEPLATES.COM

This page was last updated 12/28/10