Click on the county name below to see the county facts:
Long County was created in 1920 from parts of Liberty County. Georgia's 157th county was named for Dr. Crawford W. Long, the Georgian responsible for introducing anesthesia to modern medical practice. The county seat, and sole incorporated municipality, is Ludowici. Ludowici was named to honor a German immigrant, William Ludowici, who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school.
Some sites of historical significance are the Ludowici Well Pavilion (1907), the Jones Creek Baptist Church (1856), and the Walthourville Presbyterian Church (1884).
Originally a trail used by Indians, Old Barrington Road became an important trade route between the Carolinas and Florida in the early 1700s. It also was critical during the Revolutionary War for the troop movements.
The northeastern tip of Long County is occupied by part of the sprawling U.S. Army installation, Fort Stewart, which also occupies significant portions of the neighboring counties.
The Altamaha River forms the boundary between Long and its southern neighbor, Wayne County.One exciting special event held annually is the Long County Wildlife Festival, held in Ludowici each October.
Long County CourthouseThe Long County Courthouse in Ludowici was built in 1926 and renovated in 1974. Long County, created out of Liberty County in 1920, was the 159th and last county to be established in Georgia.
Lowndes County is named for William Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman who died shortly after being nominated for Vice President of the United States. The county seat, Valdosta, was named for Governor George Troup's plantations, named for an Italian alpine valley, Val D'Osta.
The first county seat, Franklinville, was established in 1828. In 1837, Troupville became the county seat until the railroad surveyors came to the area. The citizens of Troupville decided to pickup and move the town four miles to ensure its economic prosperity. The town was then renamed Valdosta in 1860 and became the new seat of county government.
Valdosta now has three National Register Historic Districts: Downtown, Victorian Fairview, and Patterson Street.
The county's numerous opportunities for recreation include Langdale Park, the county's newest park. The 5,000-acre Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area, 10 miles north of Valdosta, is the second largest cypress-blackgum bay in Georgia after the Okefenokee Swamp. Visitors to the Wildlife Management Area can fish, canoe, birdwatch, hike, camp, and hunt.
Moody Air Force Base is located in the county. It was named for George Putnam Moody who died in an air crash in 1941.
Tours are also available of many of the city's historic homes, such as the Crescent, which serves as the headquarters for the Valdosta Garden Center, and the Barber Pittman House, which was home to the first bottler of Coca-Cola outside of Atlanta.Valdosta is the business and retail hub for south Georgia and north Florida.
Lowndes County CourthouseThe Lowndes County Courthouse (not the county's first) was completed in 1905. This structure is widely acknowledged as one of the most beautiful county courthouses in Georgia.
The county seat and only incorporated community is Dahlonega. The name is derived from an Indian word, "Taulonica," that means "yellow gold."
Constructed in 1838, the Lumpkin County Courthouse is the oldest public building in north Georgia.
When gold was discovered in the area around 1828, Dahlonega became the site of America's first major gold rush. Diggers extracted approximately $33 million in gold before abandoning the mines. A U.S. mint operated in Dahlonega from 1836 until 1861.
The Gold Museum provides exhibits on the history of the hills and the Gold Rush of 1828.
The county offers canoeing, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking on the Appalachian Trail, and panning for gold.Annual festivals in the county include the Wildflower Festival of the Arts, the World Championship Gold Panning Competition, Gold Rush Days, and the Bear on the Square Mountain Festival.
Lumpkin County CourthouseThe Modern Lumpkin County courthouse was built in 1965 and is located in the county seat of Dahlonega.
Macon County is named in honor of General Nathaniel Macon, a North Carolina statesman and president pro tempore of the U.S. Senate. Macon County was carved from Houston and Marion counties in 1837.
Andersonville National Cemetery and Park is in the southwest tip of Macon County. Approximately 45,000 Union soldiers were imprisoned here during the Civil War, with 13,000 perishing from hunger and disease.
The city of Montezuma was named for the Aztec leader by soldiers returning from the Mexican War.
There is a large Mennonite colony in Macon County near Montezuma.
The Colonel Fish's House is said to be haunted by the ghost of Colonel George Fish after he was found murdered here in the late 1800s. This house was originally located in Oglethorpe and then moved to Americus. The ghost followed the house to its new location.
Sam Henry Rumph of Macon County developed the Elberta Peach, the variety responsible for establishing Georgia as the peach state. John Donald Wade, famous Georgia author, also hails from the county.Some of the local annual festivals include the Camellia Festival in February, Crepe Myrtle Festival in July, Beaver Creek Festival in the Fall and the Oglethorpe Fall Festival in November.
Macon County CourthouseThe Macon County Courthouse in Oglethorpe, built in 1894, is an example of the Romanesque Revival style. It is the county's third courthouse, and the second to be built in Oglethorpe, which became the county seat in 1856. The first seat of Macon County was Lanier.
Madison County, the 38th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1811 from parts of Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson and Oglethorpe counties. It was named for President James Madison.
The soils of Madison County were heavily damaged by the cotton monoculture common in this region prior to the 1930s. Agribusiness dominates the local economy, with poultry production particularly important.
Madison and Oglethorpe counties share Watson Mill Bridge State Park, the site of the longest covered bridge in Georgia. The bridge, which is over 100 years old, spans 229 feet of the South Fork of the Broad River. There are also facilities for camping, hiking trails, picnicking and fishing in the park.
The Madison County Courthouse, one of the most ornate in Georgia, was built in 1901 for the sum of $18,314. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. New Hope Presbyterian Church, established in 1788, is the third oldest church in Georgia.Some of the local festivals include the Colbert Independence Day Celebration, Comer Christmas Parade and the Madison County Agricultural Fair.
Madison County CourthouseMadison County government officials moved from the old courthouse to this government complex in 1996.
Marion County was created in 1827. Georgia's 72nd county was named for the Revolutionary War hero General Francis Marion. Known as the "Swamp Fox," Marion campaigned successfully against the British in South Carolina.
Fort Perry was built in Marion County by General John Floyd, on the old Alabama Road. It was named in honor of the hero of the Lake Erie Battle in 1812.
Two antebellum courthouses still stand in Marion County: the Old Courthouse in Tazewell, erected in 1848 at a cost of $1,637, and the present courthouse built in 1850 in Buena Vista. The very first courthouse was built in 1839 in Horry, but burned down in 1845.Another interesting tourist attraction is Pasquan, created by Eddie Owens Martin on his family farm. Martin painted and decorated virtually every square foot of every structure on the farm inside and out with images from Asian, African and Native American cultures.
Marion County CourthouseThe Marion County courthouse in Buena Vista was built in 1850. The Neoclassical entrance with columns was added to the structure in 1928.
McDuffie County was created in 1870 from parts of Columbia and Warren counties. Georgia's 132nd county was named for George McDuffie, who was born in Georgia and served as a governor of and a senator from South Carolina.
There are several noteworthy historic sites in the county. These include the Rock House, a 1785 stone structure which is Georgia's oldest documented dwelling.
Also of interest is Wrightsboro, a community founded by Quakers in 1768. The Quakers all departed by the early 1800s because of their opposition to slavery and the town gradually declined after residents refused the railroad a right-of-way.
Gold was discovered near Thomson in 1823, although local gold mines only produced a total of $80,000 in gold bullion.The presence of Interstate 20 and its location within commuting distance of Augusta should continue to provide an economic boost to McDuffie County.
McDuffie County CourthouseThe McDuffie County Courthouse, located in Thomson, was built in 1872. Major renovations to the courthouse, the county's first, were made in 1934 and 1970.
McIntosh County was created in 1793 from part of Liberty County. The
state's 17th county was named for the McIntosh clan who pioneered the
McIntosh County contains Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge and Wilderness Area, Fort King George, Wolf Island National Wildlife Refuge and Wilderness, and Sapelo Island National Estuarine Sanctuary.
McIntosh County is located approximately midway between Savannah and Jacksonville, Florida on the Georgia coast.
St. Cyprians Episcopal Church was establised in 1876 by freed slaves. Still in use, this tabby-construction church features stained glass and buttresses, typical of Gothic architecture. Also, the St. Andrews Episcopal Church, on nearby Vernon Square, was burned in 1863 when Union troops torched Darien. The present structure, copied from an English church, was completed in 1878, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.The biggest festival in McIntosh County is the Annual Blessing of the Fleet each spring.
McIntosh County CourthouseThe McIntosh County courthouse is located in Darien. It was completed in 1872 and has survived two fires.
Meriwether County was created in 1827, the 73rd county created. The county was named for General David Meriwether, a state militiaman often called on by the federal government to negotiate with the Indians. General Meriwether served in the Revolutionary War and was a state legislator and a member of congress.
The first courthouse in Meriwether County was destroyed in 1893 by a cyclone.
The county seat is Greenville, named for Revolutionary war hero General Nathaniel Greene.
Warm Springs--site of President Roosevelt's "Little White House"--is in the county. The historic site, operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, draws over 100,000 visitors annually. The warm springs pools used by Roosevelt and others in the 1930s and 1940s have been renovated.
The springs' waters stay naturally at 90 degrees, and were used by Indians as a healing spring and later as a spa for white settlers. More recently, Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as other polio victims, have benefited from the therapeutic water. The Warm Springs Foundation opened its doors to people suffering from other types of crippling disease and conditions after the invention of the polio vaccination.
The Red Oak Creek flows through Meriwether County into the Flint River. It is named for the beautiful red oak trees that grow in this area.The Chattahooche-Flint Highway, a scenic highway, runs through Coweta, Troup and Meriwether counties.
Meriwether County CourthouseCompleted in 1904, the Meriwether County Courthouse in Greenville was designed in the Neoclassical Revival style. The building was restored in 1980 after a fire in 1976 destroyed its outer walls. It is the county's second courthouse.
Miller County was created in 1856 from parts of Baker and Early counties. It was named after Judge Andrew J. Miller. Miller served as a commander of the Oglethorpe Infantry, as well as in the legislature for more than 20 years, and several times as president of the Senate. Miller is best remembered for introducing a bill to give property rights to married women.
The county seat is Colquitt. It is the only incorporated municipality within the county, and was named for U.S. Senator Walter Colquitt, who was previously a clergyman, attorney and judge.
Colquitt is home to "Swamp Gravy", Georgia's official folk life play with performances in the Spring and Fall. Each performance is a crowd pleasing blend of comedy, drama, and music, steeped in a Southern storytelling tradition. Swamp Gravy's home is a renovated cotton warehouse known as Cotton Hall.
The entire town square in Colquitt is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also listed on the registry is the Tarrer Inn, built in 1861, currently in use as a bed and breakfast.
Peter Toth, an Hungarian-born sculptor, spent several years of his life traveling across America carving memorial gift monuments, one in each state, dedicated to the Native Americans. The only such monument in Georgia is in Colquitt. The 23-foot Red Oak tree is hewn into the head of an Indian brave.Some of the festivals in Miller County include Storytelling Festival held in the Fall and the Annual Mayhaw Festival which attracts almost 20,000 visitors. Colquitt is known as the "Mayhaw Capital of the World." A Mayhaw is a small, red berry often used for jams and jellies and found only in the Southwest Georgia area.
Miller County CourthouseThe Miller County Courthouse in Colquitt, constructed in 1977, is the county's fourth courthouse. The second and third courthouses burned in 1873 and 1974 respectively.
Mitchell County was created from Baker County in 1857. The Act creating the county noted that it was named after General Henry Mitchell. He had been a state senator from Warren County, president of the Senate, a presidential elector, and commander of the Georgia troops after the Revolutionary War. The widely held view among historians, however, was that the county was named for General David B. Mitchell, who was twice governor of Georgia.
Camilla, the county seat, is named for General David Mitchell's daughter. Pelham was named for Major John Pelham, the "boy artillerist" who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Kelly's Ford in 1863.
Sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places include the downtown districts of Camilla & Pelham, the residential historic district in Baconton, the Bacon Family Homestead and the George W. Jackson House in Baconton, the James Price McRee House in Camilla (McRee Hall), Mount Enon Church and Cemetery, and the Pelham Commercial Historic District.
The western border of the county is defined by the Flint River.
Landmark buildings in the county include the Hand Trading Company Building in Palham (1916).
Some of the county's special events are the Pelham Wildlife Festival, held on the first Saturday of October in downtown Pelham. Also, the Pelham Country Jamboree is held every Saturday across from the Depot Platform.The annual Gnat Festival in downtown Camilla is another popular festival that features arts, crafts, music, bike races, train rides, 5K run, street dance and pet shows.
Mitchell County CourthouseCompleted in 1937, the Mitchell County Courthouse includes elements of both art deco and Stripped Classical architectural styles. It is the fourth courthouse to be built in the county.
Monroe County was formed in 1821 from Creek Indian land. It is named for President James Monroe, the 5th President of the United States and author of the Monroe Doctrine.
Forsyth, the county seat, is named for John Forsyth, who, as minister to Spain, negotiated the purchase of Florida in 1819. Culloden was named for a Scottish Highlander who opened a store there in 1780. Culloden is also the site of the oldest Methodist church in Georgia.
High Falls State Park, the Chattahoochee National Forest, and Lake Juliette are located in the county. High Falls used to be the site of a prosperous town that faded away after being bypassed by the railroads.
The Georgia Public Safety Training Center is located in Forsyth.
Juliette, in Monroe County, is home to the Whistle Stop Cafe, made famous by the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. It has become a tourist attraction, and is still serving fried green tomatoes.Some of the festivals in the county are the Forsythia Festival held every spring to honor the flower, and the Culloden Highland Games and Scottish Festival.
Monroe County CourthouseThe Monroe County Courthouse, designed in the High Victorian Eclectic style, was built in Forsyth in 1896. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, the structure is the county's second courthouse.
Montgomery County, the 18th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1793 from part of Washington County. The county was named for Revolutionary War General Richard Montgomery who was mortally wounded at the siege of Quebec. Portions of the original county went to form parts of Wheeler, Tattnall, Toombs, Emanuel, Treutlen and Dodge counties.
The Ocmulgee and Oconee Rivers join to form the Altamaha River at the county's southern border.
Almost 53% of the county's land is in farms. Only 20 Georgia counties have a larger proportion of land area dedicated to farming.The City of Uvalda hosts the Old Time Farm Festival every August.
Montgomery County CourthouseThe Montgomery County Courthouse, designed in the neoclassical revival style, was built in 1907. Located in Mount Vernon, the courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Renovations to the building were completed in 1992.
Morgan County was created in 1807 from a portion of Baldwin County. Georgia's 32nd county is named for Revolutionary War General Daniel Morgan who defeated the British at Cowpens.
The Madison Collegiate Institute was founded in 1849 by Baptists. It was later renamed the Georgia Female College. The Methodist Female College was also founded in Madison. These two schools were among the first women's colleges in the United States. Both were destroyed by fire and ceased operation.
Madison has some of the finest antebellum homes in the state.
Hard Labor Creek State Park, right outside of Rutledge, that offers swimming, hiking, fishing and equestrian facilities featuring over twenty miles of riding trails. The park also offers an 18-hole golf course, that is the most challenging and scenic in the state for both public and private courses.
Morgan County African-American Museum is instrumental in preserving African-American heritage and promoting awareness of the contributions the African-American has made to the culture of the South.
Among the notable people who hail from Morgan County are William Tappan Thompson, a journalist and author who founded and edited Thr Savannah Morning News , and Lancelot Johnson, who first developed the process of pressing oil out of cottonseed.Throughout the year there are a number of annual events taking place in the county including the Madison in May Tour of Homes, Madison Arts Festival and the City of Bostwick Annual Cotton Gin Festival.
Morgan County CourthouseThe Morgan County courthouse is located in downtown Madison. The Neoclassical Revival structure was built in 1905.
Murray County, created in 1832 from part of Cherokee County, was named for Thomas Walton Murray, a Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives.
One version of how Chatsworth got its name, is that a sign fell off of a passing freight car. The sign was placed on a pole by the tracks and the name stuck.
Among the county's attractions are the Vann House Historic Site at Spring Place. Constructed in 1805 for James Vann, a Cherokee chief, the two-story red brick home was built alongside the Federal Road, a major early path in northwest Georgia.
Fort Mountain State Park, an 1,897 acre park in the Cohutta Mountains, is also a popular destination. This area was presented to Georgia in 1934 by Ivan Allen, Sr. for a state park. It includes possibly the oldest fortifications in North America, believed to have been built in 1530 to defend against DeSoto's men.
Another major asset is the Chattahoochee National Forest, which occupies a large portion of northeastern Murray County. Within the forest is the Cohutta Wilderness Area, a roadless, mountainous landscape featuring several of Georgia's premier backpacking trails.
Carter's Lake, on the Coosawatee River, was formed by the Carter Dam, which is the largest earth-rock dam east of the Mississippi. The 3,200 acre lake attracts fishermen, boaters and campers.Annual events include the Red and Gold Leaf Festival, Murray County Spring Festival, Appalacian Wagon Train and Village Blackberry Festival. The County also hosts the Georgia State and Red Carpet Championship Mule-Draft Horse Frolic Show which crowns a state champion each year and highlights a wagon show, parade and mule pulling.
Murray County CourthouseThe Neoclassical Revival Murray County courthouse, located in the seat of Chatsworth, was built in 1916-17 and designed by Alexander Blair.
This page was last updated 02/07/11