Click on the county name below to see the county facts:
Gilmer County was created in 1832 from part of Cherokee County. Georgia's 84th county was named for George Rockingham Gilmer, a State Legislator, member of Congress, and Georgia Governor from 1829 to 1831 and from 1837 to 1839. Ellijay was the site of an Indian village and bears an Indian name meaning "earth green there." Cherokee Indians lived in this area until their removal in 1838 to Oklahoma via the "Trail of Tears."
Nearly half the territory of Gilmer County is within the Chattahoochee National Forest and is protected from development by the Federal Government.
Carters Lake provides a major recreational area in the county. Carters Lake is formed from the Coosawatee River, which is formed from the Cartecay and Ellijay Rivers. The rivers were formerly used for timber operations in the area. Gilmer County boasts to be the "Apple Capital of Georgia". Over 600,000 bushels of apples in 25 varieties are produced annually and sold at numerous roadside stands throughout the county.Some of the local festivals include the Georgia Apple Festival, the Cherry Log Festival, the Apple Classic Auto Show, and the Gilmer County Fair.
Gilmer County Courthouse
The Gilmer County Courthouse in Ellijay was originally constructed as the Hyatt Hotel in 1898 and converted into the courthouse in 1934. The building has been closed since 2003, and preparations to build a new courthouse are under way.
The Glascock County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other interesting historic sites include the Kelley House (1880), the Victorian Peebles Home (1890), and the James Kelley/Sherman Harris place (1828).
Gibson was named for Judge William Gibson, a former Colonel in the Confederate Army, who donated $500 for the first public building (the courthouse) in Glascock County.
Within Hamburg State Park is an industrial museum located in a 1920 water-turbine powered gin and milling complex.
The Ogeechee River, which forms a portion of the western boundary of the county, provides a wide variety of recreational activities. Rocky Comfort Creek also provides fishing and camping.
The county has one kaolin mining and processing plant. Farming and forestry are the dominant sectors of the economy.Hamburg State Park is the location of the Hamburg Harvest Festival, held each September.
Glascock County CourthouseThe Glascock County Courthouse in Gibson was built in 1919 and remodeled in 1942. An extensive renovation of the interior was completed in 1973.
Glynn County, on the Atlantic coast south of the Altamaha River, is one of Georgia's original eight counties. The county was created in 1777 from 423 square miles of land formerly held by Creek Indians. Glynn County is named for John Glynn, a member of the British Parliament and a friend of the colonies who once held the position of Sergeant of London.
Brunswick is the county's only municipality and serves as the county seat. Brunswick was named in honor of England's King George III, who was of the House of Brunswick.
Brunswick was among the fifteen cities that built Liberty Ships during World War II. In response to German U-Boat threats to shipping lanes, construction of Liberty Ships, a larger, stronger cargo vessel, was begun at the J.A. Jones Construction Company Shipyards. The shipyards built 99 Liberty Ships during the war. To commemorate this impressive feat, a 23-foot replica of the Liberty Ship is now in Mary Ross Waterfront Park in Brunswick.
Glynn County's coastal location is a recreational haven for residents and visitors alike. The county features 207 holes of golf, as well as beautiful beaches on the four coastal islands.
The Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation is a state-run park that is a classic example of a working rice plantation from around 1807.Several famous individuals are from Glynn County. They include author Bill Diehl, tobacco magnate R.J. Reynolds, noted architect William Portman, and PGA golfer Davis Love, III. Glynn County is home to several annual festivals and cultural events. Brunswick hosts an Old Town Tour of Homes in April, a King Fish Tournament in June, and the Blessing of the Shrimp Fleet every Mother's Day. Jekyll Island features an Art Festival in March, a Beach Music Festival in August, and a Bluegrass Festival in December.
Glynn County CourthouseThe Glynn County Courthouse, designed in a Neoclassical Revival style and completed in 1991, is the fourth documented courthouse to be built in the county. The W. Harold Pate Courthouse Annex was built several blocks away from the courthouse in Brunswick during the mid-1990s.
Gordon County was created in 1850 from parts of Floyd and Bartow counties. The 93rd county formed in the state was named after William Washington Gordon, who was president of what was then the Central Railroad and Banking Company and later became the Central of Georgia Railroad.
Calhoun was named for Senator John Calhoun. Originally, it was called Dawsonville. Calhoun was virtually wiped out by Sherman's troops little more than a decade after being incorporated in 1852 but was rebuilt after the war.
Gordon County is the home of New Echota, which was once the capital of the Cherokee Nation. It was the birthplace of the written Cherokee language and the newspaper, The Cherokee Phoenix.
The county has numerous outdoor recreation opportunities. The Chattahoochee National Forest makes up a large part of the western part of the county. The Coosawattee and Conasauga rivers join to form the Oostanaula River, and there is also the Salacoa Creek Park, a 343-acre park with a 126-acre lake.Each year a reenactment of the Battle of Resaca, the first battle on Atlanta Campaign, is held on the third weekend of May.
Gordon County CourthouseThe Gordon County Courthouse in Calhoun was constructed in 1961.
Grady County was created in 1905 from portions of Decatur and Thomas counties. It was named for Henry W. Grady, who was editor of the Atlanta Constitution and an advocate of the "New South."
Accounts of Hernando DeSoto's trek through the southeast in 1540 indicate that he entered Georgia in what is now Grady County.
Cairo, the county seat, was named for either the city in Egypt or the town of Cairo, Illinois. The city's name, however, is pronounced "Kayro."
The Birdsong Nature Center is located in Grady County. Dedicated to providing natural history education programs for the public and preserving the natural environment of the area, the center is located on a 565-acre tract that was formerly known as Birdsong Plantation. The center features several nature trails and exhibits that highlight the diverse wildlife of the area. Herons, bluebirds, anhingas, wood ducks, otters, and alligators inhabit the center's grounds.
Grady County is located in the heart of South Georgia's famed "Plantation Trace" and is only 60 miles from the beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.
Several famous individuals hail from Grady County. These include football standouts Rosie Grier and Bill Stanfill; Teresa Edwards, a gold medalist in Olympic basketball; and baseball great Jackie Robinson, who was born in Cairo. Mack Robinson, Jackie's older brother, took the 200-meter dash silver medal behind Jessie Owens at the 1936 Olympics held in Munich.Annual events in Grady County include the Rattlesnake Roundup, held in Whigham each January; the Great Southern Antique Car Rally, held in Cairo every May; and Calvary's annual Mule Day in November. All of the events feature arts and crafts and local cuisine, and the Mule Day's parade often attracts close to 40,000 spectators.
Grady County CourthouseThe Grady County Courthouse in Cairo was built in the early 1980s after an earlier courthouse, constructed in 1908, burned.
Greene County, the 11th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1786. Originally part of Washington County, Greene County was named for Revolutionary War hero General Nathaniel Greene.
Union Point is at the intersection of two separate railroad lines, and was originally called Scruggsville.
The oldest building in Greensboro is the Old Gaol built on Main Street in 1807.This fortress like structure has granite walls two feet thick and a trap door.
The second largest lake in Georgia is Lake Oconee located in Green County. Wildlife is found in abundance in and around the lake.
There is a house on Lick Skillet Road in Greensboro that is reputed to be haunted. At Ducaro Hall, built in 1837, footsteps can be heard late at night. At Early Hill, built in 1840, two ghosts appear. One is a man who sits in the rocking chair on the front porch; the other is a small girl who wanders upstairs and in the backyard.The Greene County Courthouse, the Victorian Gothic Jackson House, and the Reynolds Plantation are points of historical interest for visitors.
Greene County CourthouseThe Greene County Courthouse in Greensboro, designed in the Greek Revival style, was completed in 1849. The top floor of the building has been used as a Masonic lodge since the time of its construction. The courthouse was remodeled in 1938 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
In 1818, the Georgia legislature created Gwinnett County from Creek and Cherokee Indian lands. The state's 42nd county was named for Button Gwinnett, one of Georgia's three signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Following a period of rapid growth during the 1980s and 1990s, Gwinnett has become a true live-work-play community, with big-city shopping, thousands of employers and more than 300,000 jobs. Gwinnett now boasts excellent facilities for recreation, professional sports, concerts, conventions and cultural events. An effective, efficient government is meeting the challenges of rapid growth, while maintaining excellent credit and keeping future debt burdens low. Success continues to attract tens of thousands of new residents every year.
Gwinnett County CourthouseThe Gwinnett County courthouse, built in 1885 in Lawrenceville, is one of architect Edmund Lind's many important buildings in Georgia.
Habersham County was created in 1818 from Indian treaty lands. Georgia's 43rd county was named for Major Joseph Habersham, who fought in the Revolutionary War, was Mayor of Savannah, served in Congress and was President George Washington's Postmaster General.
A Civil War iron works in the county produced guns and cannons for the Confederacy. Most of Habersham County was spared from pillage after Confederate troops turned back Union Calvary in a skirmish near Currahee Mountain.
Habersham's mountains, lakes and rivers make it a nature lover's paradise. Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the county is crossed by parts of the Chattahoochee National Forest, and the Tallulah and Tugaloo Rivers. Part of Tallulah Gorge, considered to be the Grand Canyon of the South, is located in Habersham County. Previously diverted underground for hydroelectric purposes by the Georgia Power Company, the Tallulah River is once again flowing through the gorge over a series of breathtaking waterfalls.Annual events in Habersham County include the Mountain Laurel Festival held in Clarkesville every May. Clarkesville also hosts the Chattahoochee Mountain Fair each September. Cornelia hosts the Big Red Apple Festival during October.
Old Habersham County CourthouseA gathering takes place in Clarkesville, the seat of Habersham County, outside the county's second courthouse. The structure was built in 1832 and destroyed in 1898.
Habersham County CourthouseThe Habersham County Courthouse, built in 1963, is designed in the Modern style. Situated in downtown Clarkesville, the courthouse is the county's fourth.
Hall County was created in 1818 from Indian treaty lands. Georgia's 44th county was named for Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later governor of Georgia.
The county seat is Gainesville, which may have been named for early settlers in the area, or for General Edmund P. Gaines, who arrested Aaron Burr for treason.
Gainesville's municipal power plant was built in 1899. Gainesville was the first southern city to have electric streetlights.
Gainesville is often referred to as the "Poultry Capital of the World."
Hall County is split by the Chattahoochee River and Lake Lanier, the most northerly impoundment of the river. Lake Lanier is a major recreation and tourism site and served as the venue for many of the rowing and kayaking events in the 1996 Olympic Games.There are several festivals held annually in Hall County, including the Georgia Mountain Jubilee held in late April, and the Holiday Marketplace, held in mid-November.
Hall County CourthouseThe new Hall County courthouse, in Gainesville, was completed in 2002. The very first courthouse was a simple log building built soon after the county's founding in 1818.
Hancock County was created in 1793. Originally part of Greene and Washington counties, Georgia's 15th county was named for the first signer of the Declaration of Independence, John Hancock. Millmore Gristmill, which is located within the county, was the site of the historic 1786 peace treaty between the Georgia and the Creek Indian Nation.
Founded in 1795 during Georgia's Greek Revival Period, the City of Sparta was named for the classical Greek city.
Four Georgia governors have come from Hancock County: Nathaniel Harris, James McDonald, William Northen, and William Rabun.
The Oconee River makes up much of the western border of the county. Located on its banks are the Shoulderbone Indian Mounds, which date back to approximately the fourteenth and fifteenth century.Lake Sinclair is formed by the impoundment of the Oconee River by the Sinclair Dam.
Hancock County CourthouseThe Hancock County courthouse, in Sparta, was built 1881-83. The architectural style of the courthouse is called Second Empire; it was designed by the firm of Parkins and Bruce.
Haralson County was created in 1856 from parts of Carroll and Polk counties. Georgia's 112th county was named for General Hugh A. Haralson, a U.S. Congressman and an officer in the state militia.
The old county courthouse, built in 1891 and now home of the local historical society, is a prime example of a public building constructed in the Queen Anne style. The clock tower was added in 1897.
Tallapoosa, the "Dogwood City," was named for the river that runs through Haralson County. Tallapoosa is an Indian word meaning "Golden Water." Tallapoosa is also known for having opened the first free school in Georgia in 1889.There are several special festivals planned throughout the year in Haralson County. These include the annual Dogwood Festival in April, the Waco Fest in September and the Christmas Tour of Homes in December.
Haralson County CourthouseThe Haralson County Courthouse, designed in the Modern style, was built in Buchanan in 1972. An earlier courthouse, completed in 1891, today houses the county's historical society and a museum.
Harris County was created in 1827 from portions of Muscogee and Troup counties. Georgia's 71st county was named for Charles Harris, a lawyer who served as mayor of Savannah.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt State Park is located on Pine Mountain in Harris County. This 10,000-acre park features two lakes, hiking and backpacking trails, an FDR Museum, and warm springs famous for their curative powers.
The 500-acre Pine Mountain Animal Park allows visitors the opportunity to observe giraffes, camels, zebras, llamas, buffalo, elk and antelopes in natural habitats. Other attractions at the animal park include a monkey house, a serpentorium and an alligator pit.
The nationally known Callaway Gardens Resort is located in the county. The 12,000-acre resort features 63 holes of golf, a 1,000-acre hunting preserve and one of the largest botanical gardens in the world. The Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center, featuring more than 50 species of tropical butterflies, and the John A. Sibley Horticultural Center are located within the resort.Several events occur annually in Harris County. Callaway Gardens hosts the Masters Water Ski Tournament in May, the Buick Southern Open PGA Golf Tournament in September and an Antique Show and Sale in November. Hamilton is the site of the Harris County Cattleman's Rodeo in September. Every October, Pine Mountain hosts the Pine Mountain Heritage Festival.
Harris County CourthouseThe Harris County Courthouse was built in Hamilton in 1908. In 1998 an annex was added to the building, which is an example of the Neoclassical Revival style.
Hart County was created in 1853 from parts of Elbert, Franklin and Madison counties, and is the only Georgia county named for a woman. Nancy Hart, who lived in the area during the Revolutionary War, served as a rebel spy and killed five Tories who threatened her home. Hartwell, the county seat, is also named for her. The only other municipality is Bowersville.
The Teasley-Holland House in Hartwell is a historic museum in a one-story Victorian style home that was built in 1880 by Isham Asbury Teasley.
Hartwell Lake, which forms parts of the county's eastern and southern borders, is a major tourist attraction in the region. The lake covers 55,950 acres, and is one of the three most visited Corps of Engineer lakes in the country.
Other important attractions in Hart County include Hart State Park, Victoria Bryant State Park, Lake Hartwell Dam and Power Plant and Bluegrass Express.
The Cherokee Indian "Center of the World" is located in the county on Highway 29 South. This Cherokee Indian Assembly ground, marked by a roadside monument, was the site of council meetings and trade with white settlers.
The 118-year old Hartwell Sun provides the community with news coverage of local government, social and recreation stories.Annual events in Hart County include the Arts in Hartwell Festival in April, the Blessing of the Fleet on Lake Hartwell in May, a pre-Labor Day gospel sing, Lake Hartwell Antique Boat Show and Lake Hartwell Dam Run.
Hart County CourthouseMany of the buildings and surrounding grounds, including the Hart County Courthouse, in downtown Hartwell were renovated as part of the city's streetscape project. Hartwell is a Georgia Mainstreet City.
Heard County was created in 1830, by the Treaty of Indian Springs, from parts of Carroll, Coweta and Troup counties. It is named for Stephen Heard, a Revolutionary War hero and the first president of the Executive Council of Georgia.
The city of Franklin, incorporated in 1831, is on the site of a large Creek town. Centralhatchee is a Native American word for "fish stream," while Ephesus was named for the famous Greek city.
There are several interesting old gristmills and cotton gins scattered throughout the county, including the Armstrong Mill in the northeast section of the county.
The Chattahoochee River bisects Heard County from northeast to southwest. The West Point Reservoir is a popular recreation area.Every Labor Day holiday weekend, the Powers Crossroads Festival is held on the line between Coweta and Heard counties. This is rated as one of the ten best arts and crafts festivals in the country.
Heard County CourthouseHeard County's third courthouse, built in 1964, is an example of the Modern architectural style. It is located in Franklin, the seat of Heard County, which was created by the state legislature in 1830.
Henry County was formed in 1821 from Creek Indian lands. Georgia's 50th county was named for Patrick Henry, whose powerful rhetoric helped push the Colonies into the Revolutionary War. Although spellings differ, McDonough, the county seat, was named for Captain James MacDonough, the victor over the British on Lake Champlain in the War of 1812.
There are several historic places throughout Henry County. The Brown House in McDonough is home to the Henry County Historical Society. Built in 1826, the building was the home of Andrew McBride, a Revolutionary War Veteran from South Carolina. The home became the Brown House Hotel after it was expanded in 1874. The Romanesque style county courthouse, built in 1897, is also located in McDonough. Locust Grove features a century-old hardware store that has been owned and operated by four generations of the Gardner family.
The McDonough area is also home to the Shingleroof Methodist Campground where annual campmeetings have held since the 1830's. The campground was used as a training ground for Confederate forces during the Civil War.
Henry County hosts several major sporting events each year. The Chick-Fil-A Charity Championship, a Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour Event, is held at the Eagles Landing Country Club each April. The Atlanta Motor Speedway, located in Hampton, is home to two major National Association of Stock Car Racing (NASCAR) events.
The Panola Mountain State Conservation Park is located east of Stockbridge on the county's border with Rockdale County. The 537-acre park surrounds Panola Mountain, a million-year-old granite monadnock. The South River, which eventually flows into Lake Jackson, also flows through the park.
Several communities in the county host annual fairs or cultural events. The Henry County Fair is held each October in McDonough. McDonough also hosts the Geranium Festival in May.Stockbridge is home to the Old Stockbridge Days Festival in May and Locust Grove celebrates Old Locust Grove Days in May, as well. The Fairview Fall Festival is held each year in early October.
Henry County CourthouseThe Henry County Courthouse in McDonough, designed in the Romanesque Revival style, was completed in 1897. A Confederate monument stands in front of the courthouse, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
This page was last updated 12/28/10