Click on the county name below to see the county facts:
Dooly County, the 48th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1821. It was one of the original landlot counties and was later divided to make Crisp and parts of Macon, Pulaski, Turner, Wilcox, and Worth counties.
The county was named for Colonel John Dooly, a revolutionary war hero who helped prosecute Tories in 1779 and was murdered by them the following year. Vienna (pronounced vye'-enna locally), the county seat, was named after the capital of Austria.
Historic sites in the county include the Dooly County Courthouse. Built in 1891 of granite, slate, and brick, the structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Dooly Campground, which was built in 1875, is an open-air tabernacle constructed with hand-hewn timbers that still hosts many community activities.
Vienna is home to the Georgia State Cotton Museum and Dooly County Welcome Center.
Hunting is popular in Dooly County, with sportsmen bagging deer, dove, quail, duck, rabbit, squirrel, and turkey. The county participates in a pilot deer hunting program designed to increase the number of large bucks in the area.
Dooly County claims several notable Georgians past and present. Walter F. George was a member of the U.S. Senate from 1922-1957, served as President Pro Tem of the Senate and chaired the Finance and Foreign Relations Committees. A museum honoring George, located in his old law office, operates in Vienna. George Busbee, governor from 1975-1983, was born and raised in Dooly County. Roger Kingdom, gold medallist in the high hurdles at the 1984 and 1988 Olympics, was born in Dooly County. Jody Powell, press secretary to President Jimmy Carter, also hails from the county.Dooly County is home to two annual events that celebrate the area's fine cuisine. The Southern Wild Game & Fish Cookout, held every March, features a cooking competition with participants from throughout the Southeast, a flea market, entertainment, and a shooting competition. Held during October, the county's Big Pig Jig is Georgia's Official Barbecue Cooking Championship. The festival attracts over 30,000 spectators and sends the Grand Champion to compete in the "Memphis in May International Barbecue Cook-off."
Dooly County CourthouseThe Dooly County Courthouse, completed in 1892, is the third to be erected in Vienna, the county seat. Designed in the Romanesque Revival style, the courthouse underwent renovations in both 1963 and the late 1980s.
In 1853, Dougherty County was created out of Baker County by the Georgia Legislature. It was named for Judge Charles Dougherty of Athens. Portions of Worth County were transferred to Dougherty County in 1854 and 1856. Many of the original buildings remain and some have been restored and are in use today. Quail plantations are famous in the area and date back to the founding of Albany. Dougherty County is recognized for its quail and duck hunting, fishing, the Flint River and many cypress swamps.Dougherty County has come to the forefront with many of its endeavors such as new mental and physical health facilities; up-to-date landfill operations; a state of the art jail facility, a five story Government Center for County administrative departments, a three story Central Square Office Building, two parking decks and a Riverfront Resource Center.
Dougherty County CourthouseThe Dougherty County Courthouse in Albany, the county's third, was built in 1968. In 1993, after the completion of a new government center to house non-judicial offices, the courthouse was named the Albany–Dougherty County Judicial Building.
Douglas County was formed from parts of Carroll and old Campbell counties plus a small section of the original Cherokee County.
The county was named after Stephen A. Douglas, a U.S. Congressman and rival of Abraham Lincoln for the presidency. Douglasville, the county seat, was named after the county in 1875.
The area around Douglas County was settled in 1848 by Abe, Reuben and Young Vansant, three brothers from South Carolina.
Around the turn of the century, Lithia Springs was the site of a prestigious resort hotel for the nation's rich and famous. Visitors were attracted to the therapeutic mineral waters of Lithia Springs until fire destroyed the hotel in 1911.Ceremonial mounds of the Mississippian Indians are located in the county. Other Indian artifacts and remains, such as pottery, tools, and weapons, can be found within Douglas County.
Douglas County CourthouseThe courthouse in Douglas County was completed in 1998 to replace an older courthouse constructed in the 1950s. Today the old courthouse, located on the site of three previous courthouses, houses a museum and the offices of the Douglas County Historical Society.
Early County was created from land obtained from the Creek Indians. The counties of Calhoun, Clay, Decatur, Dougherty, Grady, Miller, Mitchell, and Seminole were all created from territory originally belonging to Early County.
Georgia's 41st county was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia from 1813 to 1815, Superior Court Judge, and member of Congress. Blakely, the county seat, was named for Captain Johnson Blakely, a North Carolinian lost at sea during the War of 1812.
Kolomoki Mounds State Park, located in the north central part of Early County, contains a row of mounds of Native American origin dating to around the year 800. One mound believed to have been a temple base is the largest in the United States. The museum interprets seven mounds built during the 12th and 13th centuries by Swift Creek and Weeden Island Indians. The park also features a beautiful lake for canoeing and swimming, primitive and RV camping, and a nature trails for hiking and bird watching.
The southernmost covered bridge in the United States, Coheelee Creek Bridge, is located in the western part of the county. Built for $490 in 1891, the bridge stretches 96 feet across the Coheelee Creek. The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and completely restored in 1984. The area surrounding the bridge is now operated as a historic park, offering creekside trails with native plants and picnic facilities.
As with many counties in Southwest Georgia, peanut farming is a vital component of Early County's economy. Early County is the largest peanut quota holding county in the nation. In recognition of this crop's importance, a statue of a peanut was erected on the square in Blakely in 1954.
Erected in 1861, the only known Confederate Flag Pole is the last remaining wooden Confederate flag pole standing. Located on the northside grounds of the Early County Courthouse in downtown Blakely. This historic landmark is the only one of its kind in the Southeastern area.
The Kolomoki Festival is an annual event held the second Saturday in October at Kolomoki State Park. The festival highlights primitive and pioneer skill demonstrations, arts and crafts, food and entertainment at the local amphitheater.Holidays on the Square is held the first Saturday in December in downtown Blakely around the Courthouse Square. Arts and crafts, a parade, an antique car show, food and entertainment are featured at this event.
Early County CourthouseThe Early County Courthouse, in Blakely, was built in 1904-05 in the Neoclassical Revival style. The courthouse was renovated in 1992-93.
Echols County, located on the Georgia/Florida border, was created in 1858 from portions of Clinch and Lowndes counties. It was named for Robert M. Echols, a member of the General Assembly for 24 years and a Senate President, who died fighting as a brigadier general in the Mexican War.
Statenville is named for Capt. James W. Staten, who built the first store in the town. Statenville was previously known as Troublesome.Echols County is one of Georgia's least populated counties. Over 90% of the county is forest and under contract to private companies.
Echols County CourthouseThe Echols County Courthouse in Statenville, designed in the Modern style, was built in 1956. It is the county's third courthouse.
Effingham County was created in 1777 from the colonial parishes of St. Matthew and St. Philip. Georgia's 4th county was named for Lord Effingham, an English nobleman who was a colonial rights advocate and who refused to take up arms against the revolutionaries. Effingham County is one of the oldest settlement areas in America. The Lutheran Salzburg community established in 1734 at Ebenezer (German for "Stone of Help"), was the second settlement in Georgia.
There are several buildings and sites on the National Register of Historic Places in the county. These include the Effingham County Courthouse, the New Hope AME Church, the Guyton-Whitesville Historic District, the Jerusalem Church, and the New Ebenezer Town site.A length of the 314-mile long Savannah River forms Effingham County's eastern border, separating it from South Carolina.
Effingham County CourthouseThe Effingham County Courthouse in Springfield was built in 1908 and designed in the Neoclassical Revival style. The courthouse is likely the second to be constructed in Springfield, which was named the fourth seat in the county's history in 1799.
Elbert County was formed in 1790 from parts of Wilkes County. Georgia's 13th county and its county seat, Elberton, were named for Samuel Elbert, a Revolutionary War hero and an early Governor of Georgia.
The fork of the Broad and Savannah Rivers was the site of Fort James, built in the Revolutionary War to protect settlers in the nearby community of Dartmouth. After the war, the town of Petersburg was established near the fort and became a thriving tobacco farming center, eventually growing into the third most populous city in the state. Cotton's rise to being the region's primary crop saw Petersburg's demise. The site is now covered by the waters of the Clark Hill Reservoir.
Elberton is known as the "Granite Capital of the World." Elberton's more than 45 quarries produce more granite monuments than any other area in the world.
In addition to mineral resources, Elbert County is rich in water resources. The Broad River forms the county's western and southern border. The county's eastern border with South Carolina is formed by the Savannah River, which has been dammed to create Lake Richard B. Russell and the Clark Hill Reservoir.
Elbert County is home to the Richard B. Russell and Bobby Brown State Parks, located on the fork of the Broad and Savannah Rivers at the Clark Hill Reservoir.Several notable persons spent time in Elbert County. Nancy Morgan Hart and Stephen Heard, both heroes of the Revolutionary War, lived in Elbert County. Hart (for whom the neighboring county is named) served as a spy for Elijah Clarke and once captured six Tories who came to her home demanding food. Heard established a fort in Georgia in 1773, fought with Elijah Clarke at the Battle of Kettle Creek, and served as President of the Executive Council of Georgia for a short period.
Elbert County CourthouseThe Elbert County Courthouse, in Elberton, was built in 1893 in the Romanesque Revival style. The building's interior was extensively renovated in 1964.
Swainsboro was named for Colonel Stephen Swain, a member of the state legislature. Its name was changed to Paris for a brief period, and then changed back to Swainsboro.The George L. Smith, II, State Park is in Emanuel County. It is best known for the newly refurbished Parrish Mill, a combination grist mill, saw mill, covered bridge and dam built in 1880. The park offers 11 miles of hiking trails, fishing, canoeing and boating.The county hosts a number of annual festivals and events, including the Pine Tree Festival, Garfield Washpot Cookout, and Agricultural Appreciation Day.
Emanuel County CourthouseThe Emanuel County Courthouse, the seventh in the county's history, was built in Swainsboro in 2002. The previous courthouse, completed in 1940, was the first in the county's history that did not burn. It was demolished in 2000, and a city park was built on the site.
Evans County, the 150th county formed in Georgia, was created from parts of Bulloch and Tattnall counties. It was named for Confederate General Clement A. Evans who led the last charge of the Army of Virginia at Appomattox. Claxton, the county seat, was incorporated in 1911 and named for Kate Claxton, a popular actress of the time.
The City of Claxton is known as the "Fruit Cake Capital of the World" in honor of its production of the traditional holiday treat. The Georgia Fruit Cake Company and Claxton Bakery, Inc., ship this delicacy around the globe each year.
The neo-classical Evans County Courthouse was built in 1923.
Old Sunbury Road runs through the county. Laid out in the 1790s, it was one of the longest vehicular thoroughfares of the post-revolutionary period.
Evans County residents and visitors alike enjoy the amenities of several local parks. Bacon-Ford Park is located in Claxton. Rocks River Park on the Canoochee River features camping, picnicking, and boating facilities.
Much of the southeastern part of Evans County is occupied by Fort Stewart, a U.S. Army base used as a flight training center.The Evans County Wildlife Club hosts a Rattlesnake Roundup each March. Highlights of the event include a parade, beauty pageant, arts and crafts exhibits, and a snake hunting competition. Live rattlesnakes captured during the event are sold to colleges and laboratories for research purposes. The City of Hagan also sponsors a popular Fourth of July Celebration each year.
Evans County CourthouseThe courthouse in Evans County, designed in the Neoclassical Revival style, was built in Claxton in 1923. Substantial renovations were completed in 1980.
Fannin County was created in 1854 from parts of Gilmer and Union counties. Georgia's 106th county was named for Colonel James W. Fannin of Georgia, who, with approximately 350 volunteers, fought in Texas' War of Independence from Mexico. Fannin and his regiment were captured and massacred in 1836. Fannin's county seat, Blue Ridge, is named for the southern reach of the Appalachian Mountain Range which stretches into the county.
The last remnants of the Cherokee Nation found shelter in the mountains of Fannin County before their removal west along the "Trail of Tears" to Oklahoma in 1838.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service operates a cold water fish hatchery in Fannin County. The Chattahoochee Forest National Fish Hatchery raises rainbow trout to stock streams, lakes, and reservoirs throughout North Georgia.
Parts of the Chattahoochee National Forest and Cohutta National Wilderness Area are in Fannin County. The Cohutta Wilderness Area is the largest national wilderness area east of the Mississippi River.
Outdoor recreational opportunities are also plentiful within Fannin County. Campers, hikers, nature lovers, and anglers enjoy the Chattahoochee National Forest and Cohutta Wilderness Area. In addition to these federal facilities, local parks include the Horseshoe Bend Park, the Blue Ridge City Park, and the McCaysville City Park.
Water resources are plentiful in Fannin County. Blue Ridge Lake in the center of the county impounds part of the Toccoa River, which flows into Tennessee and becomes the Ocoee River, site of the 1996 Olympic whitewater events. Jacks River, Fightingtown Creek, and Rock Creek also flow through the county. The Blue Ridge Railway is a vintage passenger train running a 26-mile roundtrip along the Toccoa River.
Fannin County residents and visitors enjoy several annual events. Held each Memorial Day weekend, the Arts in the Park Festival in Blue Ridge attracts over 20,000 people. Several local churches in Blue Ridge host an interdenominational Labor Day Barbecue each year at the town's historic railroad depot.A Mountain Harvest Sale featuring handmade quilts, baskets, and pottery is held on the third and fourth weekends of October at the Blue Ridge State Farmer's Market. Proceeds from booth fees go to local charities.
Fannin County CourthouseThe Fannin County Courthouse, completed in 2004, is the third courthouse to be built in Blue Ridge, the county seat since 1895. The county's first courthouse was constructed in Morganton, the first seat, in 1855.
Fayette County was formed from parts of the Creek Indian Nation.
Georgia's 49th county and its county seat, Fayetteville, were named for
the Marquis de LaFayette, one of General George Washington's commanders
in the Revolutionary War.
Housed in the former Margaret Mitchell Library in Fayetteville, the Fayette County Historical Society features historical collections concerning the civil war and local genealogical records.
The "world's largest courthouse bench" is located alongside the southern walkway approach to the county courthouse in Fayetteville.The largest city in the county, Peachtree City, is a totally planned municipality, which features over 90 miles of pedestrian and golf-cart pathways connecting all parts of the city.
Old Fayette County CourthouseConstructed in 1825, the original Fayette County Courthouse, pictured in the late 1880s, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the oldest courthouse in Georgia. The clock tower was added to the structure in 1888.
Fayette County CourthouseA fifty-eight-foot-long pine bench, used in Fayette County's first courthouse from 1825 until 1965, lines the sidewalk leading to the original building. Today the building houses the Fayette County Chamber of Commerce and the Fayette County Development Authority.
Floyd County was formed from part of Cherokee County in 1832. Georgia's 82nd county was named for General John Floyd, a South Carolina Indian fighter and U.S. Congressman. Rome, the county seat, was established in 1834.
Floyd County has two historic courthouses, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other places of historic note are Rome's City Clock, built in 1872; Myrtle Hill Cemetery, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and resting place of Ellen Axson Wilson, wife of President Woodrow Wilson; and the Capitoline Wolf, a 1,500-pound sculpture given to the City of Rome by Italian dictator Benito Mussolini in 1929.
The original county seat was designated as Livingston in 1833, the county seat was moved to Rome in 1834.
Cave Spring is known for its antique shops, old residences, and its namesake crystal clear springs. The town features Rolater Park, which includes the world's largest natural springs swimming pool. Cave Spring is also home to the Georgia School for the Deaf.
In northern Floyd County is the $800 million Rocky Mountain pumped storage power plant. Generating enough power for 290,000 households, the plant pumps water to a 550-acre lake on the mountain top, channels the water down a 570-foot vertical shaft and through a 2,500-foot horizontal tunnel to a series of turbines inside the mountain's base.
There are a number of museums in Floyd County including the Chieftans Museum, the Rome Area History Museum and the Eubanks Museum at Shorter College.
Located on the Berry College campus are the Martha Berry Museum and Oak Hill, the Berry family home, commemorating the school's founder and major benefactor.Floyd County hosts a number of annual events beginning the year with the M.L. King Jr. Celebration in January. During the spring, Rome comes alive for Mayfest on the Rivers and the Memorial Day Celebration. In the fall, there is Heritage Holiday, the Chili Cook Off and the Floyd County Homemaker Annual Christmas Bazaar.
Floyd County CourthouseThe current Floyd County Courthouse, built in Rome in 1995, is the county's sixth courthouse. The building functions as a multipurpose government facility, housing offices for various agencies in addition to the county and superior courts.
Forsyth County was created in 1832 from parts of the original Cherokee Country. It was named for John Forsyth, Governor of Georgia from 1827-1829 and Secretary of State under Presidents Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren.
Cumming was established in 1834. The city is named for Colonel William Cumming of Augusta, a prominent lawyer.
Several Indian archaeological sites are located within Forsyth County. An Indian mound and village are located on Settendown Creek near the mouth of the Etowah River. Another Indian village is located near Sawnee Mountain on Big Creek.
Two places of historic note in Forsyth County are Pool's Mill Covered Bridge and the Settles Home. One of the few remaining covered bridges in the country, Pool's Mill is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Settles Home is considered to be the oldest home in the county and is under consideration to be listed as a historic landmark.
Much of the eastern side of the county lies on the shores of Lake Sidney Lanier, one of the busiest recreational bodies of water in the nation with 200 miles of shoreline. Created in the 1950s with the impoundment of the Chattahoochee River at Buford Dam, the lake has accelerated the growth of the county, as well as provided recreational enjoyment for many throughout north Georgia. The lake is home to Southern Bald Eagles and Peregrine Falcons, both endangered species.Forsyth County has been ranked by the U.S. Census as the fastest growing county in Georgia.
Forsyth County CourthouseThe Forsyth County Courthouse in Cumming, the county's third, was built in 1977 to replace an earlier courthouse that burned in 1973. In 1996 an administration building was constructed across the street from the courthouse.
Franklin County was created in 1784 and originally encompassed all of what would become Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Jackson, Oconee, and Stephens counties, and parts of Gwinnett, Hall, Hart, and Madison counties, as well as three counties in South Carolina. Georgia's 9th county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin.
Carnesville, the county seat, was named for Judge Thomas Peter Carnes, a lawyer and Congressman of the Revolutionary War era.
Places of historic note in the county include Cromers Mill Covered Bridge, built in 1906, and the Lavonia Carnegie Library, established in 1911 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie. Lavonia is the smallest city in the U.S. with an original Carnegie Library Building.
Lake Hartwell, Georgia's largest Army Corp of Engineers lake east of the Mississippi was formed by the impoundment of the Savannah River at Hartwell Dam. The lake's 55,950 acres have 962 miles of shoreline.
Franklin County leads the state in poultry production and the Franklin County Livestock Market is the state's largest.
Two state parks are in Franklin County. The 406-acre Victoria Bryant State Park, near Royston, features a nine hole golf course, as well as facilities for camping, swimming and hiking. Tugaloo State Park, on a 393-acre peninsula on Lake Hartwell, offers outdoor enthusiasts excellent opportunities for fishing and camping.
Annual events in Franklin County include the Lavonia Fall Festival in September, and the Royston Autumn Festival and the Harvest Festival at Tugaloo State Park in October.Other events include the Jr.-Sr. Catfish Rodeo in April, Pioneer Skills Day in November, Heritage Day in May and the Easter Egg Hunt.
Franklin County Courthouse
The Franklin County Courthouse, in Carnesville, was built in 1906 in the Neoclassical Revival style. The county was named for Benjamin Franklin.
Fulton County was formed from DeKalb County in 1853. In 1932, Milton and Campbell counties were consolidated with Fulton County, resulting in its current elongated shape.
The county was the 144th county created in the state and was named after Robert Fulton who built the Clermont, a boat that revolutionized river travel and played an important role in the development of the South.Atlanta, the county seat and state capital, was named Terminus in 1842. Its name was later changed to Marthasville, in honor of Governor Wilson Lumpkin's daughter, and then to Atlanta in 1848.
Fulton County CourthouseThe Fulton County courthouse, located in Atlanta, was designed by A. Ten Eyck Brown, with Morgan and Dillon, and built in 1911-14. The courthouse is an example of neoclassical revival/Beaux-Arts classicism architecture.
This page was last updated 12/28/10