Click on the county name below to see the county facts:
Clayton County was formed in 1858 from parts of Fayette and Henry counties. Georgia's 125th county was named for Judge Augustin S. Clayton, who held the county's first sessions of the superior court and later served in both the Georgia House of Representatives and Senate.Jonesboro, the county seat, was originally called Leaksville. When the Central Railroad line reached the town, the name was changed to honor Captain Samuel G. Jones, one of the line's surveying engineers.
Clayton County CourthouseThe Clayton County courthouse, built in 1999-2000 and designed by Hellmuth, Obata, and Kassabaum, Inc., is located in the county seat of Jonesboro. The courthouse is officially known as the Harold R. Banke Justice Center.
Clinch County, the 94th county formed in Georgia, was created from portions of Ware and Lowndes counties in 1850. The county was named for General Duncan Clinch, who served in the War of 1812, defeated the Seminole Indian Chief Osceola in Florida, and later served in the U.S. Congress.
Part of the Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge lies in Clinch County. Both the St. Mary's and Suwannee Rivers rise within the swamp. World famous Stephen C. Foster State Park is located in Fargo. The park's boat tours are a twisting and turning adventure through the Okefenokee Swamp.The largest festival in Clinch County is the Timberland Jubilee, held in Homerville in October to honor the contributions of the timber industry to the local economy. Events include a Timberland Run, an Arts and Craft Show, and other entertainment.
Clinch County CourthouseBuilt in 1896, the Clinch County Courthouse in Homerville was originally designed in the Victorian style. In 1936 extensive renovations and additions, designed in the Neoclassical Revival style, were made to the courthouse, which is the third in the county's history.
Cobb County was created from Cherokee County, originally part of the Cherokee Indian Nation. It was the 81st county in Georgia and named for Judge Thomas Willis Cobb of Virginia, who served as a U.S. Senator, state congressman and Superior Court Judge.
Marietta was named for Judge Cobb's wife. The city's downtown was destroyed by Sherman's troops in 1864, but it was reconstructed and now Marietta is home to four National Historic Districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There is a 23-acre National Cemetery in Marietta with more than 17,000 officers and soldiers from every U.S. war buried in the cemetery. With 43 parks, recreation centers, and other related facilities, Cobb's park system is one of the Southeast's largest. There are also 8,800 acres of federally owned park lands in Cobb County including Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park and the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. Two other of the state's top attractions are found in Cobb: White Water Park and Six Flags Over Georgia.County music star Travis Tritt was born in Marietta and Academy-award winning actress Julia Roberts was raised in Smyrna. Some of the festivals in Cobb County include the Kennesaw Big Shanty Festival in April, the Historic Marietta Arts and Craft Festival, and the North Georgia State Fair.
Cobb County CourthouseThe Cobb County courthouse was built in the mid-1960s and is located one block east of the Marietta Square.
Coffee County, was created in 1854 from parts of Clinch, Irwin, Telfair, and Ware counties. Georgia's 107th county was named for General John Coffee, who fought in the region's Indian wars and was a hero of the War of 1812.
DeSoto's Spanish soldiers were probably the first Europeans to set foot in this area.
Douglas was named for Stephen A. Douglas, Lincoln's opponent in the 1860 Presidential race.
Coffee County is home to Broxton Rocks. These leopard-colored cliffs offer a botanist's dream of rare and endangered flora along with the largest and most dramatic outcrop of ancient sandstone anywhere on the coastal plain of the Southeastern U.S.
General Coffee State Park is 1,490 acres of swimming, fishing, hiking, and camping. The park also features Pioneer Village, a 19th-century village complete with log cabins, chicken coop, smoke house, corn crib, and other exhibits.
The county is part of the Wiregrass Region. This area encompasses the southern third of the state and is named for the "wiregrass" which grows among the tall Georgia pines.The second Saturday in November, Coffee County hosts Mule Day, a fall festival event including mule pulls, wagon rides, plow competitions, and more.
Coffee County CourthouseThe Coffee County courthouse, located in Douglas, was built in 1940 and was designed by William J. J. Chase. The two-story brick structure is an example of Stripped Classical architecture. The courthouse underwent a renovation and expansion in 1991.
The 1902 Neoclassical Revival Courthouse stands in the center of Moultrie's town square. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently undergoing renovations.
Moultrie was named for General William Moultrie, a Revolutionary War leader.
With its long growing season and varied types of soils, the county has traditionally been a state leader in agricultural production. Despite the county's agricultural strength, manufacturing has still replaced farming as the largest employment sector in the county.
Colquitt County is the home of a world class diving well at the Moose Moss Aquatic Center. Moultrie is host to local, state, national, and international diving tournaments. The center served as a training site for the 1996 Olympic Games.
Colquitt County also contains eight quail hunting preserves and is a mecca for hunting bobwhite quail, wild turkey, deer, and dove.
The Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition is held annually each October in Moultrie at Spence Field. This exposition is the largest farm show in the Southeast and attracts over 200,000 attendees. The latest technology in all phases of the farming industry is displayed during the multi-day event, as well as, demonstrations and exhibits.
Colquitt County CourthouseThe Colquitt County Courthouse, built in 1902, is located in Moultrie. The courthouse, along with the Moultrie Commercial Historic District and several other downtown buildings, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Columbia County, the 12th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1790. Originally part of Richmond County, Columbia County was named for Christopher Columbus.
Although Appling is the county seat and was chartered in 1816, the city was one of 187 inactive municipalities which lost their charters in 1995 as a result of a 1993 Act of the General Assembly. There is some controversy over whether or not Appling ever was incorporated.
With 1,200 miles of shoreline, Clarks Hill Lake is the largest man-made lake east of the Mississippi and is partially located in Columbia County. The lake, which is also known as Thurmond Lake, was created in 1946 when the Army Corps of Engineers built the Clarks Hill Dam on the Savannah River.
The Augusta Canal Heritage Area, which is partially in Columbia County, has been recently designated a historical waterway by the U.S. Congress and designated as a Regionally Important Resource (RIR).Columbia County's high schools consistently rank among the top high schools in the state and the nation.
Columbia County CourthouseThe Columbia County Courthouse, built in Appling in 1856, was designed in the Vernacular style with Greek Revival and Italianate influences. The core of the structure is formed by an earlier courthouse constructed in 1812.
Cook County was the 153rd county formed in Georgia. It was created from Berrien County and named for General Philip Cook, who fought in both the Seminole War and the Civil War and was Georgia's Secretary of State for over 20 years.
The county courthouse was constructed in 1939, one of many depression era public works projects in the state. This courthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Another historic building, located in Adel, is the Jim Paulk-SOWEGA Building, owned by the Adel-Cook County Chamber of Commerce. The building was constructed in 1930 and originally the home office of Southwest Georgia Melon Growers Association (SOWEGA), which started in 1920 as the only cooperative association for marketing watermelons in the world.
One of the first roads cut through the Wiregrass Territory ran through Cook County at Cecil. This road, known as the Coffee Road, was called for by an act of the state legislature in 1823 and was built by General John Coffee. The Coffee Road became a main thoroughfare for early settlers, who traveled to Tallahassee and the Gulf Coast for salt and other staples.
Reed Bingham State Park is located in the county. The park has a variety of recreational facilities centering around a 400-acre lake, where swimming, skiing, boating, and fishing are excellent. Other facilities include campsites, nature trails, miniature golf, and picnic shelters.Some of Cook County's festivals include the Brushy Creek Muzzleloaders Spring Shoot and Rendezvous in March, the Annual Turnip Trot in November, and the Lean-Ox Festival, also in November.
Cook County CourthouseThe Cook County Courthouse was built in Adel in 1939. Designed in the Stripped Classical style, the courthouse is the county's first.
Georgia's 67th county bears the name of the Coweta Indians, a Creek tribe headed by William McIntosh, Jr., the half-Scott, half Creek who relinquished lands to the Federal government in the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs.
Newnan was named for General Daniel Newnan who fought in the Indian Wars, the War of 1812, and later served in the Georgia General Assembly.
Newnan was home at various times to the Male Academy and to the College Temple, a prestigious school which was the first to offer a Master of Arts for women.
The Chattahoochee-Flint Heritage Highway, a scenic highway and bike route, runs through Coweta, Troup, Harris and Meriwether Counties.
Several notable persons have come from Coweta county. Ellis Gibbs Arnall was both an attorney general and governor of Georgia in the Talmadge era. He worked to make Georgia the first state to lower the voting age to 18 and was also successful in repealing the poll tax. Other famous Cowetans include the late columnist and author Lewis Grizzard and novelist Erskine Caldwell (both of whom were from Moreland), football great Drew Hill, author Margaret Ann Barnes, and country superstars Doug Stone and Alan Jackson.Coweta County's many festivals and special events include the Homemade Ice Cream Festival in historic downtown Newnan, the Taste of Newnan, the Old Town Sharpsburg Spring & Fall Festivals, the Senoia Progressive Dinner & Tour of Homes, Grantville Days, the Lewis Grizzard Bike Ride, the Puckett Station Arts Crafts Festival, and July 4th BBQ and the Powers Crossroads Country Fair and Arts Festival, which is held Labor Day weekend.
Coweta County CourthouseThe Coweta County courthouse, located in Newnan, was built in 1904 and was designed by J. W. Golucke. The Neoclassical Revival-style structure was refurbished in 1975, retaining principal design features. The courthouse's interior and exterior were rehabilitated in 1989-90.
Crawford County, the 55th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1822 from Creek Indian lands and part of Houston County. Later, parts of Macon and Talbot counties were added. The county was named for William H. Crawford, who was U.S. Secretary of the Treasury when the county was created.
A monument to Joanna Troutman, who designed and made the Lone Star Flag adopted by the State of Texas, can be found on the historic courthouse square. The flag was presented to a group of Georgia volunteers who were en route to help Texas fight in its war of independence in 1835.
In Knoxville, there are several buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Crawford County Courthouse (1831) and the Crawford County Jail (1882). The Roberta Historic District is also listed.
The county seat, Knoxville, received a charter in 1825, but it is no longer a functioning municipality. It was one of 187 inactive municipalities to lose their charters in 1995 as a result of a 1993 Act of the General Assembly.
There are 19 archaeological sites in the county that have been filed with the State Archeological Office. The sites include the Indian Agency Reserve on the banks of the Flint River and the Creek habitation area along the Flint River. Benjamin Hawkins, an Indian agent from 1794 to 1816, is buried on this site.Jefferson Franklin Long (1836-1900), the first African American who served in the 41st U.S. Congress, was born near Knoxville in Crawford County. Long was also a delegate to the Republican National Convention in Chicago in 1880.
Crawford County CourthouseThe Crawford County Courthouse in Knoxville, completed in 2002, stands one block behind the previous courthouse, which was built in 1832. Knoxville is one of only three unincorporated towns in the state serving as county seats.
Crisp County was created in 1905 from territory formerly belonging to Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp, a jurist, and Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives between 1891 and 1893.
Cordele, the county seat, was a "child of the railroad" having built up at a junction of the Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroads. It was named for the daughter of the railroad's president.
Crisp County became the first county in the nation to own and operate its own electrical power plant. It was started in 1930, with Lake Blackshear on the Flint River providing its power source.
The county is the gateway to the Presidential Pathways Travel Region with many attractions within easy driving distance of Cordele. The Little White House, Plains (home of Jimmy Carter), Westville, the Little Grand Canyon, and Andersonville Confederate Prison Site are a few of the historic attractions in this area.Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park, an 8,700-acre park on the banks of Lake Blackshear, was established as a permanent memorial to the U. S. Veterans who served, fought, and died for freedom. Two museums are located in the park. An indoor museum includes exhibits interpreting wars and battles from the 18th century French and Indian War through Vietnam. An outdoor museum is comprised of planes, cannons, and tanks from World War I through Vietnam.
Crisp County CourthouseThe Crisp County Courthouse in Cordele, the second in the county's history, was designed in the Modern style and completed in 1950. The county's first courthouse was constructed in 1907 and destroyed by fire in 1950.
Dade County, in Georgia's extreme northwestern corner, was established in 1837, a year before the federal government began removing the original inhabitants, the Cherokee Indians. Carved from western Walker County, it was the 91st county created in the state.
Dade County was named for a Virginian, Major Francis Langhorne Dade, who was killed in 1835 while fighting the Seminoles. Trenton, the county seat, was named after the city in New Jersey.
Located on the "Backside of Lookout Mountain," Dade County was for many years unknown to most Georgians. Until a long-delayed state highway over the mountain was completed in 1948, the only reliable route to the county by automobile was through Alabama or Tennessee. For this reason, the county was known as "The Independent State of Dade."Several annual events highlight life in Dade County. Dade County Days, held each May in Trenton, feature "down home" food, crafts, and entertainment. The New Salem Mountain Festival is held each May and October, and features hand-made arts and crafts, as well as music and dancing. The World's Longest Yard Sale is held each May in Trenton. This event spans from Mississippi to Virginia.
Dade County CourthouseThe Dade County Courthouse in Trenton, built in 1926, was designed in the Dutch Colonial Revival style. It houses the county's superior court, district attorney, and state probation office.
Dawson County was created from parts of Lumpkin, Gilmer, and Forsyth counties. Georgia's 118th county, and the county seat of Dawsonville, were named for Judge William C. Dawson, a compiler of the laws of Georgia and commander of a brigade in the Creek Indian War of 1836. Dawson also served in both houses of the state legislature and in Congress before the Civil War.
Built in 1857, the historic Dawson County Courthouse has been the focus of recent renovation and preservation efforts. A coalition of interested parties, ranging from the local Women's Club to a local builder, has worked on the building. Dawson County is home to 729-foot Amicalola Falls, the highest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains. Amicalola Falls State Park surrounds the falls, and the Amicalola Falls Lodge is located at the top of the falls. The approach trail to the start of the Appalachian Trail on Springer Mountain is also located in the park.
The Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area is maintained in Dawson County and provides more than 23,000 acres of hunting, hiking, bird watching, camping and fishing opportunities. The state purchased 2,031 acres along Wildcat Creek at the northwestern end of the wildlife area in 1993 as part of the Preservation 2000 program.
Lake Sidney Lanier forms Dawson County's southeastern border, providing recreational and economic opportunities for local residents. The completion of Lake Lanier and development of Georgia Highway 400 has spurred growth and development in the county during the past 30 years.Dawson County hosts several annual events including a Spring Wildflowers Celebration at Amicalola Falls State Park in April, the Summer's End Trading Days in August, and a Fall Forest Festival in October. For three Saturdays in October, the Dawsonville town square comes alive with arts and crafts displays, clogging, and other entertainment during the Dawson County Fall Festival.
Dawson County CourthouseThe Dawson County Courthouse in Dawsonville, the second in the county's history, was built in 1978.
DeKalb County was formed in 1822 from parts of Henry, Gwinnett, and Fayette counties. It was the 56th county created in the state and was named after Baron Johann DeKalb who accompanied LaFayette to America and served as a major general in the Continental Army.
Decatur was incorporated December 10,1823, and named after Stephen Decatur, a U.S. Naval hero. It is said that early residents rejected a proposal by the Western and Atlantic Railroad to make Decatur a major stop on its new line in the 1830s. These citizens did not want the noise, smoke and confusion, and turned the railroad down. The railroad thus moved seven miles west to a small settlement called Terminus. In 1843, that settlement was renamed Marthasville, and two years later became Atlanta.
Mills and ginneries were vital to the county's early growth. This heritage lives on in the names of various DeKalb roads that once led to these mills, such as Browns Mill, Evans Mill and Henderson Mill.The county's previous courthouse was built in 1917 at a cost of $10,000. DeKalb's present courthouse was built in 1965 at a cost of $3.5 million, while the old facility has been renovated and serves as the headquarters for the DeKalb Historical Society.
Dekalb County CourthouseDekalb County's fourth courthouse, built in 1916 and now known as the Old Courthouse, towers over a small park that surrounds the building. Free concerts are held in the Decatur Square Bandstand, which is located on the grounds surrounding the courthouse.
Decatur County was created in 1823 from portions of Early County. The county was named in honor of Commodore Stephen Decatur who defeated the Barbary Coast pirates at Tripoli in 1815. Bainbridge, the county seat, was named for Commodore William Bainbridge, commander of the U.S. Constitution, "Old Ironsides."
The Decatur County area was the site of several battles between Indians and early settlers. In the early 1700s, both the Spanish and English fought with Creek Indians. In 1818, General Andrew Jackson led troops from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia to victory over the Seminole Indians.
Decatur County is divided by the Flint River, which flows to meet the Chattahoochee. Together they form the Apalachicola River which flows to the Gulf of Mexico. At the junction of the two rivers, the Jim Woodruff Dam forms Lake Seminole. A system of locks at the dam allows barge traffic to travel between the inland port at Bainbridge and the Gulf of Mexico.
The limestone aquifer underlying Decatur County is broken in many places, encouraging the formation of caves and lime sinks — one at Curry's Mill is almost 700 feet wide and reaches a depth of 102 feet.
Decatur County is the nation's leader in the production of Fuller's Earth, a type of clay with varied chemical uses. Once used for bleaching petroleum and cleaning grease out of wool, Fuller's Earth is currently used as cat litter and as an additive to insecticides and cements.
Lake Seminole is widely regarded as one of the nation's best lakes for large mouth bass fishing. In addition, local anglers fish for striped and white bass, catfish, crappy, and bream. Also, Lake Seminole is popular among area duck hunters.Decatur County is the home to several annual festivals. During the first week in May, the Riverside Artsfest celebrates a specific state's culture, history, food, and music. The Town of Climax plays host to the annual Swine Time each November. This lighthearted event recognizes the contribution of pork products to the region's economy. Other annual events are the Dogwood Festival in Attapulgus the last Saturday in March and the Decatur County Fall Festival and Fair in October in Bainbridge.
Decatur County CourthouseThe Neoclassical Revival-style Decatur County courthouse was built in Bainbridge, the county seat, in 1902.
Dodge County was created in 1870 from parts of Montgomery, Pulaski, and Telfair counties. Georgia's 134th county was named for William E. Dodge, a New York businessman who owned large tracts of forest land in Georgia. Dodge helped persuade Congress to remove taxation from timber and built the first county courthouse in 1908 as a gift. The current courthouse was recently renovated by the county.
Eastman, the largest city and the county seat, was named for W. P. Eastman, a friend of Dodge.
Eastman is the home of the original Stuckey Candy Plant and is referred to as the "Candy Capital of Georgia." The Eastman House includes a museum of history for Dodge county and Eastman. The home was built in 1872 by William P. Eastman.One of the major special events in Dodge County is the "A Dickens of a Christmas", held annually the second weekend in December. Another festival is the Spring Lake Bluegrass Festival/Old Timers Fiddlers' Reunion held in Rhine.
Dodge County CourthouseThe Dodge County Courthouse, designed in the Neoclassical Revival style, was built in Eastman in 1908. The structure replaced a two-story wooden courthouse built around the time of the county's creation in 1870.
This page was last updated 12/28/10